In order to contrive a consensus among the local medical fields towards the promotion of patient safety, and employ the most effective use of the limited medical resources, "Patient Safety Committee" of the Department of Health corresponded to the government’s strategies and carefully reviewed the practical and implementation needs of hospitals. Joint Commission of Taiwan invited clinical experts of patient safety to formulate national patient safety goals, strategies, principles and referential practices that are adopted from the annual goals and practices of the American JCAHO ( Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations ) for the use and reference of the related medical affairs . As from 2004, the annual patient safety goals have been increased from 5 to 10 items. Besides, active and positive descriptions are adopted to promote the patient safety in Taiwan.
The principles for setting the goals are considered upon 5 aspects:
Universality：The formulation of goals and strategies is based on the common situations encountered by most medical institutes, instead of merely those in large-scaled hospitals.
Accessibility：While setting the goals and strategies, the costs of hospitals should not be affected. The hospitals are expected to implement the suggested practices in their daily work.
Phased：The goals are assessed every year, and the improvement of each goal is reviewed. Principally, the goals are revised once every two years according to the practical situation of implementation.
Concentration：The hospitals and medical organizations should review the characteristics of the goals and implement what are best-suited. They are not required to achieve all the listed goals, but to strengthen the goals that need to be improved.
Systematic：The improvement practices of hospitals are not limited to a single medical or administrative department. Only the adoption of systematic practices can patient safety be effectively improved.
The quality of medical service is based on "Patient safety" which is the commonest goal for healthcare providers and patients. The proposal of patient safety goals elucidates government’s determination in providing our people with safety medical care. It is expected that medical experts and the public can work together to promote the healthcare quality in Taiwan as well as building a safety medical environment.
2016～2017 National Patient Safety Goals
Executive strategies (2016-2017)
Objective 1: Enhancement of effective communication between health caring personnel.
1. Implement the correctness, integrity, and instantaneity of the info delivering process. 2. Implement the risk management and the standard operating procedures during the transfer of patients. 3. Implement timely notification and treatment of critical values of radiation, inspection, examination, and pathology repots, as well as other important results. 4. Enhance team communication skills.
Objective 2：Implement the event management of patient safety.
1. Create patient safety culture and participate Taiwan Patient safety Reporting system as well. 2. Analyze patient safety incidents and promote improvement programs. 3. Set patient safety incident managing programs.
Objective 3: Enhancement of the surgical safety.
1. Implement the surgery identification process and the safety examination process. 2. Enhance the quality of anesthetic care. 3. Implement the process of surgical equipment testing. 4. Avoid injury during operation. Establish appropriate mechanisms. Examine unneeded operations.
Objective 4: Avoid patient falling and reduce injury.
1. Implement the risk management of the patient falling and as well as the preventive measures. 2. Provide safe care environment. Reduce falling injury. Inspect and adjust care plan after falling.
Objective 5: Enhance safety of the drug usage.
1. Promote medication reconciliation for the patient. 2. Implement the transfer of medication allergies and Adverse drug reactions history. 3. Enhance safety usage of the high-alert medications and Infusion pumps.
Objective 6: Implement infection control.
1. Implement the compliance and the correctness of hand hygiene. 2. Implement management mechanisms of antibiotic use. 3. Implement care bundle measures. Reduce medical care-associated infections. 4. Clean, monitor environment periodically. Establish disinfection, sterilization managing mechanism.
Objective 7: Enhance pipeline safety.
1. Implement the evaluation and care of the pipeline usage. 2. Enhance safety of pipeline placement and reduce its injuries. 3. Enhance teamwork as well as providing integrated care.
Objective 8: Encourage patients and their families to participate patient safety tasks.
1. Encourage medical personnel to contact patients and their families to establish partnerships. 2. Offer people multiple participation approaches. 3. Encourage people to notify issue regarding patient safety. 4. Provide patients medical safety information spontaneously. Promote “Shared Decision Making”.
Address：No.145, Zhengzhou Rd., Datong Dist., Taipei City 10341, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
TCH Service Center：For callers in Taipei City, please dial 1999 ext.888 Toll-Free Number
(public telephone and prepaid card are not included)
for the Citizen Hotline. For callers outside of Taipei City, please dial 02-2555-3000
For international callers, please dial (+886)-2-2555-3000
Best viewed with IE 6.0 or higher at 1024 x 768 resolution.Updated: 2017/12/29 13:34:44